Posted on :Wednesday , 31st January 2024
The Japanese International Cooperation Agency (JICA) is providing the funding to the Kenya National Highway Authority (KeNHA) for the construction of the bridge project, which is estimated at US$1.3 billion (about 200 billion Kenyan shillings). JICA will fund 80% of the bridge project, with the Kenyan government covering the other 20%.
Principal Secretary for Roads Joseph Mbugua stated, "The Kenyan government is committed to ensuring the Mombasa Gate Bridge project commences immediately," during a meeting with a Japanese delegation on January 15. KeNHA reviewed the state of the preparations required to enable the project's start during their most recent meeting with the JICA group.
Mbugua promised the Japanese team that the government would start the project right away and offered his assistance in making sure it would be finished on schedule and within the allocated budget.
The Mombasa Gate Bridge project intends to build an essential road link between Mombasa Island and Mombasa Mainland South. The two areas are currently divided by the 500-meter-wide Likoni Channel, which is crossed by ferries run by the Kenya Ports Authority and leads to local traffic congestion.
The 1.4 km long, cable-stayed Mombasa Gate Bridge will reach 660 meters. It will be 69 meters high at the midpoint and have four lanes, providing enough room for ships to pass underneath. It will take 36 months to finish the construction.
The primary components of the project are the construction of:
The project is anticipated to employ about 80,000 Kenyans during the construction phase and create income in the range of Kenyan shilling 80 million (US$498,442) a year.
According to Mbugua, the bridge will be a tourist attraction and iconic landmark because it will be Sub-Saharan Africa's largest cable-stayed bridge.